International Information Discover America

Home > Outdoors > Fishing > Licenses and Publications

Fishing in South Dakota

Fishing Licenses and Publications

Fishing SunriseOnline License Application

If you are a U.S. or Canadian citizen, the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish & Parks offers the option of purchasing any over-the-counter license online. You must be over 16, possess a valid Social Security Number (not required of Canadian citizens), have a credit card and a printer. 

Online License Application System (GFP)


Residents who are 19-64 and non-residents who are 16 or older may purchase an annual fishing license that allows them to fish throughout the current license year. The license year lasts 13 1/2 months (Dec. 15-Jan. 31). Residents aged 16-18 are required to purchase the Junior Combination License. Residents aged 65 or older must purchase the Senior Fishing License. Residents under 16 do not need a license to fish.

To purchase a South Dakota fishing license, residents aged 16 or older need a valid South Dakota driver's license or a state-issued and expiration-dated South Dakota ID card. Non-residents need a valid driver's license or state-issued and expiration-dated ID card. Licenses are available on a annual or daily basis for residents and also on a three-day or family basis for non-residents.

South Dakota Hunting and Fishing License Fees (GFP)
South Dakota Residency Requirements (GFP)

Resident and Non-resident Fishing Licenses

General over-the-counter fishing licenses may be obtained from authorized licensing agents, such as hardware and sporting goods stores.

South Dakota Hunting and Fishing License Agents (GFP)

Border Waters

Persons fishing on border waters between states must enter the water and return to shore from the state in which they are licensed and only fish in the waters of the state in which they are licensed. Specific exceptions for Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa and North Dakota are defined in the "Licensing" section of the Fishing Handbook.


The South Dakota Departments of Tourism and Game, Fish & Parks both offer print publications specifically for fishermen and women. Most of these publications are available to read online and/or to download:

Request Department of Game, Fish & Parks Publications (GFP)

Request a free Fishing & Hunting packet from the Department of Tourism.