PIERRE, S.D. – Does your community host an event that’s great? The South Dakota Office of Tourism wants to know about it. Tourism’s Great Events campaign is a marketing tool used to promote and increase visitation at events across the state. Four events are selected by Tourism to be featured each year. The Great Events must satisfy the following criteria:
- Must be two or more days in length;
- Must be an annual event;
- Must be a unique event (e.g., no Fourth of July, Labor Day, etc. celebrations);
- Must have visitor appeal and growth potential. Growth potential is defined as rooms available in hotels/motels;
- Event can occur anytime during the year;
- Religious, political or for-profit events are not eligible;
- Event can be part of the Great Events campaign for no more than three (3) years.
The Office of Tourism provides assistance to the selected events to support promotional efforts in order to boost visitor spending and increase the economic impact the events have in host communities.
“This campaign allows us to work with our local partners to promote a variety of events to audiences across the country,” said Richard Benda, secretary of the Department of Tourism and State Development. “By working together, we are better able to promote South Dakota and ultimately bring more visitors to our state."
If your event does not qualify for our Great Events program, it may qualify for our Calendar of Events listing. This is a free listing online at www.travelsd.com
More information, including applications, about the Great Events campaign can be found at SDvisit
, or by contacting Joey Hockett at (605) 773-3301 or Joey.Hockett@state.sd.us
. The deadline for applications to be considered for 2010 is Oct. 10, 2009.
The Great Events program is part of Goal 1 of the 2010 initiative to double visitor spending in South Dakota.