PIERRE, S.D. – The Governor’s Tourism Advisory Board has approved 19 new partners for the Governor’s Million Dollar Challenge matching grant program.
Participants in the Million Dollar Challenge submitted application forms to the Office of Tourism for consideration. Members of the Governor’s Tourism Advisory Board then carefully reviewed the proposals and recommended approval of the cooperative efforts.
New 2009 partners include:
- Brown County Fair, Aberdeen
- Custer Marketing Project, Custer/Custer State Park
- DiscoveryCenter’s “Toy Tech” Exhibit, Pierre
- Gateway to the West Fest (Prehistoric IndianVillage Preservation Society), Mitchell
- Great Aberdeen Pig Out, Aberdeen
- Holy Terror Days, Keystone
- Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce, Hot Springs
- Masters Walleye Circuit Tournament, Webster
- Motorcycle Tourism Alliance, Statewide
- Ribs, Rods & Rock ‘n’ Roll – SD State BBQ Championship, Vermillion
- RiverCity Racin’, Chamberlain/Oacoma
- Sisseton Wahpeton Oyate, AgencyVillage
- SmartAlec GPS Adventures, Rapid City
- South Dakota Hall of Fame “Legends of South Dakota”, Chamberlain
- South Dakota Walleye Classic and Festival, Akaska
- Southeast South Dakota Tourism Association, Yankton
- Summer Nights on 7th, Rapid City
- Uptown Festival of Arts & Crafts, Watertown
- Visit Spearfish Inc., Spearfish
The proposals were approved with the understanding that the partners will provide matching funds in a cooperative marketing program and follow specific guidelines. Additionally, each cooperative project has been assigned a Governor’s Tourism Advisory Board liaison to work with the organization, as well as a primary contact staff member from the Office of Tourism.
There are still funds available for the Governor’s Million Dollar Challenge. Applications will be accepted until 100% of the money is allocated. The deadline for the next review period is May 5, 2009. Potential partners may submit applications and proposals to the Office of Tourism at the following address:
Nicole Gall, Visitor & Industry Relations Manager
Governor’s Million Dollar Challenge
South Dakota Office of Tourism
711 E. Wells Avenue
The Governor’s Million Dollar Challenge program is a part of Goal 1 of the 2010 initiative to double visitor spending in South Dakota. The Office of Tourism serves under the direction of Richard Benda, secretary of the Department of Tourism and State Development.
Media Note: More information regarding the Governor’s Million Dollar Challenge may be found at www.SDVisit.com.