PIERRE, S.D. – Does your community host an event that’s great? The South Dakota Office of Tourism wants to know about it. Tourism’s Great Events campaign, a marketing tool to promote and increase visitation at events across the state, features four events selected by the Office of Tourism based upon certain criteria:
- Must be two or more days in length
- Must be an annual event
- Must be a unique event (e.g., no Fourth of July, Labor Day, etc. celebrations)
- Must have visitor appeal and growth potential. Growth potential is defined as rooms available in hotels/motels
- Event can occur anytime during the year
- Religious, political or for-profit events are not eligible
- Event can be part of the Great Events campaign for no more than three (3) years
The Office of Tourism provides assistance to selected event coordinators and supports promotional efforts for these designated events in order to boost visitor spending and increase the economic impact in host communities.
“The Great Events campaign has allowed us to promote events from across the state to audiences across the country,” said Richard Benda, secretary of the Department of Tourism and State Development. “We’re better able to assist planners with their events and help organize the overall promotional plan, resulting in more visitors.”
The Great Events program is part of Goal 1 of the 2010 initiative to double visitor spending in South Dakota.